Tuesday, May 26, 2009

1st week here

Hi everyone!

      This week has been amazing! It is so beautiful here. I have been very busy traveling around seeing all of the sites. Earlier in the week we climbed the Acropolis to see the Parthenon and climbed back down to the Agora. It's amazing to think that they could make huge buildings like that such a long time ago! We also hiked up another mountain to St. George's Cathedral which had a breathtaking view of the city of Athens, including the Acropolis. And we got to watch the sun set from the top.
      Today I got back from visiting Delphi. If you ever get a chance to come to Greece I highly recommend going to Delphi. I think it is the most serene/beautiful place that I have ever seen. This small town is nestled on the side of huge mountains which lead to a beautiful view of the harbor. SO PRETTY!!! When we were there we got to see the Temples of Apollo and Athena and hike past the amphitheater and the original gymnasium. The architecture is one of a kind!  We also got to stop by Thermopylae which is the site of the battle with 300 Spartans lead by King Leonidas (this is where the idea for the movie "300" came from). I was kind of disappointed when I saw this battlefield because the movie made it look way cooler. But it was still really amazing to be standing in the same place where the Spartans fought the Persians.
     Tomorrow we have a free day so we are taking a ferry to one of the Greek islands to spend a day at the beach. Can't wait! I will tell you all about it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment